This page will provide you with additional resources for codependency information.
This checklist was developed by Melody Beattie, author of Codependent No More. It is a set of 10 questions that can be used for the self identification of someone who might have a problem with codependent behaviors. This is not a diagnosis tool, it is merely a place to start in assisting an individual to determine whether or not there is a problem.
- Do you feel responsible for other people – their feelings, thoughts, actions, choices, wants, needs, well-being, and destiny?
- Do you feel compelled to help people by solving their problems or by trying to take care of their feelings?
- Do you find it easier to feel and express anger about injustices done to others than about injustices done to you?
- Do you feel safest and most comfortable when you are giving to others?
- Do you feel insecure and guilty when someone gives to you?
- Do you feel empty, bored, and worthless if you don’t have someone else to take care of, a problem to solve, or a crisis to deal with?
- Are you often unable to stop talking, thinking, and worrying about other people and their problems?
- Do you lose interest in your own life when you are in love?
- Do you stay in relationships that don’t work and tolerate abuse in order to keep people loving you?
- Do you leave bad relationships only to form new ones that don’t work either?
The free encyclopedia – entry on alanon
The free encyclopedia – entry on codependency